Thursday, February 21, 2013

Make a Home Video

No, not that type of home video. In college we had to film ourselves teaching from time to time. If you haven't done it, I highly recommend it. Don't make it just 10 minutes either. Make it a full lesson. Then, take the time to watch yourself with a place to take notes in front of you. Show it to another colleague or invite someone in to watch you teach. I reach out to my cousin who is also a teacher or other teacher-friends of mine to observe my teaching. The truth is, administration can't come watch you as often as they probably should to help improve your teaching. So, take it upon yourself to see what your teaching is like.

When I first watched myself, I found I was talking WAY too fast and I frequently said 'um' and 'ya know.' I also realized what the kids were doing while I was teaching. Of course I assumed they were all highly enthralled with my teaching. The reality was that they were doodling, chatting, folding paper, and pretty much anything else you could imagine.

You're never too experienced to do a check up and see if your bad habits have crept back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment