Saturday, September 28, 2013

Maintain Focus With This

Sticky notes. Congrats. Done. *mic drop*

Just kidding. You're probably wondering how sticky notes, a teacher's best friend, can help you focus.
I recently started my Masters studies and found when I was doing my mountain of reading for the week that I would lose focus easily. That's really an understatement. I was like the dog from the movie Up. Squirrel! I found my mind drifting from blog ideas to lesson plan ideas to "Do I have something to take for lunch tomorrow?" A colleague of mine was talking about how she uses sticky notes for all of her reminders. Her office is practically wallpapered in them. One week while reading my mountain I was interrupted by yet another thought when, it hit me to put it on a sticky note and just set it aside. 

By the time I was done I had ten or so sticky notes. At that time I could decide what to do with each of them. Some transferred to my bullet journal. Some I took care of right then and some I put in an Evernote and expanded upon. You can even get super fancy with your Post-It notes now by putting them into your Evernote account and tying the color of four basic Post-It colors to specific notebooks. The sticky note allowed me to put it out of my mind and focus on my reading. This is also an approach you could use with your highly distracted students. Give it a try and leave your results in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment