Saturday, March 29, 2014

Google Glass: A brief encounter

I spent Saturday at the iPads in Learning mini conference. It was a fantastic time for several reasons. However, quite possibly the highlight of my day was that I got to use Google Glass. Two colleagues have pairs of Google Glass and we happen to be sitting in a German/Spanish room when the one I was talking to exclaimed about it. She realized she could use her Google Glass to translate the posters on the wall. After freaking out (understandably) she said I had to give it a try and of course I didn't say no. It was crazy. The nerd in me has been excited to try this new and unique device. Part of me thinks maybe they're douchey and pretentious. The actual experience though was way cool.

It took a minute to get acclimated. April was trying to give me directions which I followed poorly. The side of the glass is like a track pad. You begin with the "Ok Google" screen which allows you to regally command Google after you get its attention with the phrase. The other option is scrolling with your finger. It allows you to swipe your way through recent photos, emails, reminders, and the ever popular, extreme weather advisory. Among those options is the translate feature. If you ever used Word Lens on the iPhone, it's that. So it doesn't just subtitle what you're looking at, it actually uses augmented reality to change what's written.

By the way, I'm a pretty reserved person for a lot of things especially excitement over something I should be excited about. I like to play it off like I don't care and freak out like a 12 year old at a One Direction concert on the inside. I couldn't contain my excitement on this one. Instantly I wanted my picture taken and my voice went up five octaves.


Overall, I give the experience a pretty freaking cool. Thanks, April!

No comments:

Post a Comment